by Kennet N. Taylor
In Ukrainian and English
Retelling of the Gospel from Mark
Biblical strategies for overcoming anxiety
Jesus Storybook Bible
Every story speaks His name
Light. Hope. Love
Jesus loves you
A word of encouragement for every day
ASSOCIATION OF MENNONITE BRETHREN CHURCHES OF UKRAINE
The creation history of the colony and the list of villages founded by mennonites
The Yazykovo was situated to the North from the former Khortytsia colony. It was established in 1869 as the first Mennonite colony after a land reform of 1861. On 8 November 1868, the Khortytsia colony acquired 7153 acres of land from the countess Barbara Koskul, paying 240,000 rubles for them. The name of Yazykovo came from the surname of a previous landowner. Later, the lands grew because of purchases of other private owners.
The settlers established four villages: Nikolaifeld, Frantsfeld, Adelsheim and Aihenfeld. One hundred forty six families arrived here from Khortytsia, each of whom had received 50 acres of land priced at 33 rubles per acre. In 1872, Mennonites bought additional 1500 acres from the countess Evgeniya Morozova. The peasants paid 70,500 rubles for this land. On it, they founded the village of Hohfeld, which would be inhabited by 30 mennonite families from the villages of Ostervik and Ainlahe of the Khortytsia colony. Each family acquired 50 tithes of land.
Petersdorf was founded in 1833 as a private household. Later it, just as the two following – Paulsheim and Reinfeld, became a part of the Yazykovo colony. In 1873, the village of Nikolaifeld became the administrative center of Yazykovo. The territory of the colony totaled to 14,427 acres of land, 8,600 of which belonged to the villages. Private farmers owned the rest.
The villages were arranged in a typical Mennonite fashion, just as in the Khortytsia colony. The main and oftentimes the only street went parallel to a river, and on either side of it, there were peasant houses.
The list of villages of the former Yazykovo colony.
Settlement’s name – another name – modern name
Adelsheim (1869) - №3 - Dolinovka
Aihenfeld (1869) - №4 / Dubovka - Novopetrovka
Nikolaifeld (1869) - №1 - Nikolai-Pole
Frantsfeld (1869) - №2 / Varvarovka - Nikolai-Pole
Hohfeld (1872) - №5 / Morozovo - Morozovka
After 1873, other estates became a part of the Yazykovo colony, too:
Paulsheim - Pavlovka – does not exist
Petersdorf - Nadezhdovka/Petershevka - does not exist
Reinfeld - Elenovka - does not exist